Monday, May 23, 2011

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood



This is the third installment of the Assassin's Creed series, the first game in this series I've played, but I hear good things. Let's hope for the best.

Overview
You are a master assassin named Enzio, who lives in medievil Rome, (1500 A.D.) where you seem to be the cool guy on campus. You start out doing errands for townspeople, which help you learn the controls to the game. Enzio has superb fighting skills and uses counter-attacks to fend off opponents, as well as some well timed sword-work. Someone took fencing lessons.



Story Mode
There are a few cut-scenes that help piece things together, but initially I am a little lost in the story play. Things pick up as the villa in which you reside is bombarded by cannon fire and sends you to have to defend your city. A series of cannon-fire, hand-to-hand combat and expolsions leads to Mario, your uncle being shot. You are now blood-thirsty for revenge.

Turns out gameplay is a memory, brought about by researchers, who are trying to find... something. The memories take place in the 1500's. You relive those and take part in research activities of Desmond who seems to be a decendant of Enzio. He has visions of past occurrances and ghosts from ancient times to help follow the trail, which is quite a long sequence. The memory search sequence reminds me of the movie The Matrix or Inception but I am skeptical as to how it all happens. As Desmond, you go through syncronizations that train you to be like Enzio. They take forever! The story mode is very slow developing.

The most interesting thing I found about this game, was the ability to climb, jump and move your way about the cities. If it's a building you can climb it. Once you get to the top you can perform a "leap of faith" which is, at least, a 100-plus foot jump off of ledges. The whole falling aspect is a bit unrealistic for me, but hey, its a video game people! Here is a shot from the game that features Enzio scaling a building.


Also Click HERE to see a video with a ridiculous leap of faith. You'll see what I mean by unrealistic.

Online Multi-Player
This is the first version of this game that comes equipped with online features. I guess they couldn't come up with a concept for online play in the other versions. For AC3, the online play begins with yet another simulation to get you ready to play against real people. You have your choice from a slew of characters, of which, a few are pretty cool looking.

The objective is to eliminate the other players by showing off your characters unique styles and moves. You have to avoid the other players that are looking for you as well, because a true assassin never gets caught. There are many look-alikes to add confusion, and to be brutally honest, the online play sucks. To quote Simon Cowell, "It's absolutely dreadful." With only one mode of play online you are very limited. I would not reccommend playing this with friends. It's like playing Where's Waldo and not knowing what Waldo looks like. Total 'F' bomb here.

Here is a video that sums it all up. The commentary is explicit.


Enough said...

Final Verdict
This game was highly rated on Gamefly and had an overall customer rating of 8.7 out of 10. I was very disappointed with this game. Story mode takes too long to get involved and bounces around too much. Online play is weak, with only mode to play it gets boring quick. I would not recommend you RENT or BUY this title. It's a waste of time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment