Thursday, April 14, 2011
HOMEFRONT REVIEW
Game Description
Homefront is a first person shooter game that is available on both the 360 and PS3.
It takes place in 2027 when America is being overrun by the combined Korean Republic
after an EMP strike knocks out all power in United States.
Story Mode
You are a displaced soldier that gets kidnapped by Korean forces, yet is rescued by American armed forces to begin a onslaught of pain, to save the American homefront, or whats left of it. After being rescued, you fight your way through the cracked suburbs to find shelter amongst other survivors. Once there, you meet up with the locals, gain info, and head out on more missions.
Gameplay
Controls and weapons are very similar to the Call Of Duty series and can be a bit sticky at times especially during fight scenes. Graphics are average and do not wow me at first glance, but everything runs smoothly, which is a plus. As you play, you have objectives that pop up and remind you of what is needed to stay on task. Kind of like your own little GPS. Development is pretty solid with a lot of character to character dialogue and interaction.
Multi-Player Mode/Online Gameplay
Now, when it comes to the replay value of a game, it usually comes down to this category. Being able to play with other gamers makes the game worthwhile. Here's what I found with Homefront.
My first impression of the online play is that it is too easy. I began with Team Deathmatch. A head to head matchup of 12-on-12 play, the team with the most kills wins. When you die, you spawn with an overlook of where your enemies are. This eliminates the ever frustrating and dreaded spawn-kill, but it is not as challenging.
Ground Control is another online gameplay mode to where you can play with as many as 32 other players and your team is to win 3 sectors. Whichever team wins two areas (three sectors) wins the match. Again, easy to pick up, but this time more interactive, yet more a game of chance. Whoever is in the right place at the right time usually gets the W.
Final Verdict
This game is average in terms of graphics, appeal, story mode, and weak in online play. Given I had a short amount of time to review this game (7 Hours), I did make significant progress in Story mode and got a hefty dose of online play (enough to make me turn it off). In the end, this game pales to compare to the leading war games in its genre or first person shooters. To be honest I'm going to label this on a Call of Duty wannabee. I suggest that all my gamers out there Rent this game. It is definitely not worth the $59.99 it is listed for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




This seems like a very professionally written critique. I like how you broke up the paragraphs with the photos. I also like that you titled each paragraph and I also appreciate the reaction boxes at the bottom as well. The font is a little small for me, but perhaps it needs to be that way? Good Job=)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI don't know a lot about about this video game, granted, I have seen it before, so I appreciated the sub headings you given to each category. No I didn't automatically rush down to the verdict, but I read each post because these posts are interesting and well written.
ReplyDeleteYour verdict at the end is very surprising especially since you had so much interesting things to say about the game.
But the post is very informative!
Overall, great job!
Great use of headings, the screenshots, and the voting box. It's good enough to be a professional review.
ReplyDeleteYou might want to recommend a few superior games when you say this is a wannabee. I don't have a 360 (used to be more of a gamer than I am now), so which Call of Duty are you talking about in particular?
Any Call of Duty. This game is a call of duty copycat. Just another attempt at getting in on the fun (millions of dollars)by THQ
ReplyDelete